Friday, March 24, 2006

Butter my Birthday


olga and jaun bday
Originally uploaded by edgetolife.
Why Celebrate your birthday on just one day? Why not make it a week long event? Well this year I decided to do so. In all honesty, it wasn't fully intentional....I just have many groups of friends that don't necessarily intermingle. Besides, why not be completly egotistical. It takes some ego to have a blog, why not have a birthday week.

First Party was on March 19th evening, the night before my birthday. Juan and Olga took me out to Goodman's Steakhouse on Tverskaya. Large Cowboy steaks, seafood, and good company. They gave me a nice picture frame and a really nice bottle of Spanish Wine. Juan's birthday is a few weeks before mines so it was like a joint birthday party. We staying warmly inside goodmans until after-midnight when the true birthday celebrations could actually begin. I was born just after midnight...so it was fitting to celebrate the big 29 in this fashion. Juan and Olga were great friends to shares this moment with and hopefully I'll share their wedding when they finally set a date.

On the 20th, I was surpised in the office by the girls on the floor. Its seems that Ksenia, Sonya, Katya, Lena, Natasha and a few ops girls all chipped in to celebrate my big day. It turns out there were many suggestions and the girls were fighting amongst themselves for what to get me. At one point, a tie was suggested, but I only wear ties and must impress events (rarely). Then the suggestion was for me to have a "special" massage at Rasputin (best not to explain what this place is).....they all conpromised and settled to buy me a teddy bear and a huge bouquet of ballons and flowers. Nick was obviously jeolous/annoyed by the attention I was getting. He mumbled loudly in Russia "Why don't I get ballons" and Katya/Ksenia both countered with "that because no one loves an a@#$hole"

The night of the 20th, I decided to invite a small group of friends for dinner at Fish. Ksenia who was sick was the first arrive and we sat there waiting for Sonya and Andrei to come around. I was given a collection of Russia DVDs (fantastic since I havn't seen too many Russian Movies) and some candles for my new home. I get the keys to my new apartment any day now....I can't wait to move out of my one room, one misery tiny doll house. No more "Its so cute" reaction from female visitors......"its so cute" is not a reaction any man wants to hear....trust me.

The night of my birthday dinner, I got a text message from Nick that he was going to be in very late the next morning....I also got a message from Pete that he need to talk to me. I just knew what happened.....Yukos......the lie and misery was over. Pete, my protector and good comrade at work was going to lose his job. And of course this all happens on my birthday. fuk!

The next day was crazy cause Nick was obviously very distrought and very confused. The whole desk knew what happened but no one wnated to talk about it, in fear that it was an infectious disease that could spread. What did this mean for everyone? What did this mean for me? Was Nick going to walk out in a frenzy too? Is today when this boy becomes a Mench? There were promises that my birthday dinner with my work colleagues was going to happen. Dinner was set at Continenta Antinori at 7pm and Pete was going to be there. Because Pete was going to make it, many others decided to come out to the party in his support.

Pete showed up late, Nick, Irina, Katya, Tim, Dima P, Kesa, and 3 strippers all came to dinner. Yes, there were strippers at my brithday dinner. Did I see them naked? no....did they wish me a happy brithday.....don't remember....but they sure knew how to ate. They also left early....so the joke I guess was on me. Nick and Pete sat next to each other and just went over "What happened" to cause this unemployment Chaos. But as the night moved forward, the wine started to flow (Magnum bottle of Tiaganello 01 was opened!), and everyone felt festive. They even called our old friend Alex (whose apartment I will take) and put him on speakerphone.....he sang me a rousing version of "Mnogiya Leta". There were tears in a few people's drunk eyes.

The night ended with a round to Hennesy Paradiso Cognac....one final good will toast to wish happyness and luck for 2006. Its tradition in Russia for the host (me) to pay for the birthday dinner.. Well, that meant that I had to pay $7000 for this birthday dinner. Lets just hope these well wishes of luck and fortune for the next year were worth the cost.

Just when you thought the parties were over, I had one more dinner left. Natasha Zhakova asked me to come over for a home cooked Russian meal at her home. The last time I was at her house was when I came in 2004 for the summer. Her husband is a Uralogist with a great sense of Russian humor and Natasha is sweet as can be. She once started crying at work when I was joking that I was going to leave for London. She took me to her home and told me just how much she wanted to have a baby.....this could be an intersting night.....

But I think one of my highlights was when after Natahsha amazing dinner, we sat in the Kitchen and made Russian Blinay pancakes for dessert. Not only did I have these delicious delacacies, but I learned how to make them. Yes, I made me first Russian dish. After I made it, I jokingly ordered Natasha's husband to "Butter my Blinay"....he laughed and obeyed. Things taste better with your own hands.

So turning 29 was painless and even fun. I didn't get gifts per se (besides some Russian movies) but I'm happy about the differnt and new people in my life...people who last year weren't around to celebrate my big day. Who knows what 2007 will bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home