no longer the loner, thanks to jojo
I'm not saying my friend scott is a loner. I'm just referencing a beatles lyric. I like lyrical blog titles. I can call scott other things. We tend to have a lot of dirt on each other, but loner wouldn't be a good word to describe him.I went to visit Scott in Ragleigh N. Carolina this past Sept. Well, I wouldn't call it a visit per se. It was one of my typical Farhan trips. In 2002 while Scott was living in Germany, I flew to see him for a total of 32 hours. That was one crazy trip and of course we were almost killed be some angry men in Frankfurt but I'll spare that story for another rainy day. This Sept I flew in, played around with his new dog jo-jo, went to see coldplay, and then flew out the next morning to NYC.
Its actually become a yearly right of passage to visit scott. I've been visiting him every year since he's left Urbana. He's also visited me in NYC/Chicago/London many times as well. Maybe the key to our friendship is that we only see each other for a few days and max out our time.
Even when he was working on his MBA, I would drive down to Urbana for dinner or we'd go see some event in town. He's now in N. Carolina working on his PH D in I think Electical Engineering. Yes...you will be able to call him Dr. Scott in a few years.
Well, long story short. Another friend has decided to take the plung as my friend is getting married next year. Its now 3 years in a row that I'll be going to summer weddings. I guess that's what the future holds when you get older. Weddings, divorces, birthday parties for people's kids, getting married again, roller derby, death squads, alien invasions, the robot wars, THE DECEPTICONS!, etc...
Scott just got a dog this summer. Like me, he's never had a dog or any major pet growing up. He has some hesitation and some concern about getting an animal but Robyn, his girlfriend at the time (now his fiance) really really wanted a dog. She used to work at a doggie day care and is nuts about them. In fact she bought a VW hatchback with dreams of her dog riding comfortably in the back. We talked about the whole dog issue in the past. I've never had a major pet of my own besides fish and some birds. Sometimes the thought of pets is daunting cause I do not wish to harm or forget about them as a responsibility. Scott felt the same way. After moving in together and Scotts nerves became relaxed, he told her that they could start LOOKING for a dog. She went out the next day and brought jo-jo back from the shelter. He came home and was a dog owner.
Jo-jo is a very hyperactive animal. They think he may have be abused...but they love her to bits. Scott knew he wanted to propose to Robyn, but was looking for a creative way to do so. Her parents fedex'd over an airloom ring (he asked permission w/father first) and he tie'd a bow around jo-jo the dog (with a basket around her neck). When Robyn came home, jo-jo jumped up on her, and presented her with her suprise. Easy to say she was overjoyed and said yeah.
Scott called me this weekend to tell me the tale. Their wedding is July 1st next year. After he told me he said "um...you might have to be the best man..." hah....I asked him back "Are you asking me or...?!" and he did ask if I was around and would honor him. I was touched to be honest. I was my good friend steven's best man in 04. Boy did I learn a lot of what not to do with Steven...but in the end I had a great time and it all went off really well. (he's still married at least!). I mean considering that I go to N. Carolina every year, I might as well firm up the time in when I do it. If its for a wedding, than hey...free cake. Hope Scott realizes that I'll only be in town for 30 hours or so. Knowing our karma, we will also get ourselves in some trouble as well before the ceremony....that is one tradition that will never change....



1 Comments:
your lacey comment concerns me.....
deeply concerned....
Maybe I'll cancel my Korea plans already.
You still upset about Myung Jean...she's still mad at you
Post a Comment
<< Home