...And all I ever knew...
Today is my parents' wedding anniversary. They were married in 1969. My dad was 28/29 and my mom was 24 or something like that. They seem to still be pretty happy so kudos for them. Not everyone has been so lucky to be with someone that they also consider to be one of their closest friends. So to them..I wish them happy anniversaryI was walking the streets of Moscow this morning and saw a funny sight. This bride, all dressed up, was waiting outside this convenience store. All of a sudden this man in a Tux comes out with bottles of champagne. He takes her by the hand and walks her across the street. They don't enter their car or anything...no...they decide to hitchhike or hail a "russian cab". It was such a bizarre scene. To see this woman squeeze into the back seat of an old Russian Chjaguli car. While her new husband negotiated the fare and got in after her.
I smiled and took a secret photo. There was something sweet about the moment. They may not have a car, or be throwing a huge party, but they have each other. They found what they wanted to be happy, and I guess that is all that they really need. Russians don't have weddings in churches. In fact its common that people go down the courthouse and get married during their lunch break. The woman would get dresses up, and they'd sign their papers and that would be that. Not often friends are invited. Its a pirvate moment b/w the couple. Afterwards they drive around town and take photos of themselves at all the attractions and possibly later they may throw a dinner for their families where there is a LOT of vodka involved.
There is something really beautiful about that moment when two people are alone during the ceremony and make that silent but public bond to spend forever with each other. It was a moment that overwhelmed my friends dan and sarah at their wedding. I saw it on their faces. It was touching.
As for my parents, I plan on calling them later today to wish them well. I wonder if they still do anything special on this day for each other. Am I supposed to by them something? This is really their accomplishment, I had a little to do with it. If I do get married, I would still expect everyone to buy me presents for my anniversary. I mean come on, its a huge feat to find someone and make that commitment. I deserve at least a new apple video ipod for that. Well that's many years away at least. By then I expect my own jet booster pack or something.



2 Comments:
i must admit i am a horrible child and did not realize our parents anniversary had passed until i read your blog and paniced that i had forgotten what a rotten child I am. This insetrt was very touching.. I guess in the end all that really matters is the two people who are involved in the realtionship and everything else is just gravy.
well, i hate to break it to you fiz, but I'm their favorite. I beat out you and rey any day. And lets me honest, Shaz is soooo old, that she was born 19. She's like their friend.
I'm kidding of course shaz...yeah, I didn't get them anything, but I did call. Dad was all about to give mom a card, mom was all about some imams mujlis or something....typical.
Post a Comment
<< Home