Learning life's lessons w/ Poison
Sommetimes people can suprise you....and those are usually some of the best suprises. Tim had made plans with his friend allen and his model fiance monkia to go to this new place called "poison" on its opening night. As we got closer to the end of the work day, tim jestured to me to invite maria (masha) to come out with us. Everyone at work knows that I have probably the best relationship with the new girl in the office. The main reason is probably because I have no alterier motives and well, i used be an assistant and I've been trying to help ease her into the role. So anyways I invited her to come out with us.Now this poison place was insane. It was all over the place. I was told that the idea was fusion of this was something else. It was two stories, the first floor was this sushi bar where we sat at. But it really WASN'T a sushi bar. The waitstaff were all dressed up in native russian clothes and they had a sign featuring their famous "mohijtos"(brazilian drink). Then they brought in these roasted pigs and placed them on this huge table and told us that we could have all we can eat pig and russian pancakes. I passed.
They then had these Gypsy singers and dancers come into the place and play with their loud accustic guitars as the did their tap dance. There was a photographer from the moscow times taking pictures of us since they were trying to get publicity for this new resturant. We must have left too soon cause later on I read that they brought a dancing bear (YES! A REAL BEAR) for the opening. Gosh, I'm kicking myself for missing that one!
Tim and I started talking about our pasts, how he dropped out of college to live with a community of actors and sell christmas trees in california. His point was that by selling trees, he learned real world experience and learned about sales. Masha then told us a story about during soviet times when she was 8 she used to pick flowers from near her house and sell them on the subway. She used to use the money to buy her and her friends ice creams. She then started to talk about her job with her boss and started to slag off this other girl who does the same job but sabotoges her. The thing with masha is that when she talks english she comes across as very passonate and sometimes a bit...harsh.
You could tell in tim's eyes that we was startled. Allen and his finance showed up and we rejigged the seating cause I guess tim felt uncomfortable talking to his employee so directly about work and cause allen is a friend. I sat with the flower seller at the other end of the table.
Its funny when you are someone who doesn't like to talk about yourself, you end up asking people tons of questions...I know about that all to well actually. So anyways she started right away asking me all sorts of questions about london and all that's been going on with me. I don't know why but since she is a stranger to everyone it felt really easy to talk to her. She didn't know anyone I was talking about so I told her about my insecurities about our office, and even
went a bit deeper and talked about the last few weeks...etc.
It was nice to have someone..an outsider to tell you when you are being a horse's ass. She basically told me to stop pretending to be this vast victim and that the recent events were partially my fault and I should be more responsible. She had a point. Someone I know is upset with me and she was right.. I was being too selfish to complain about how ackward I have to feel now. I guess by being removed from the situation and now knowing me it was easy for her to tell me how it is. I wanted to talk to her and see how she was doing and what she was feeling, but she wasn't too interested to talk about herself. She said she liked being someone people can talk to, a mini shrink, but had nothing to say about herself. I knew how she felt cause i've played that role before.
But yeah, it was great to talk to someone and have someone that doesn't know me well telling me the truth, that sometimes we are all a bit selfish and hurt people, but its up to us to be responsible for what we do.
And in regards to not wanting to talk about myself. Well, I think I'm obviously getting better at that. I wouldn't have started a blog if I didn't feel like writing about my thoughts and my life. I think I'm more curious now than ever about how I really feel and think about things. I feel more open and honest with people about what i've gone through and I'm usually suprised about some of the stories I havn't told people yet when I thought all the things that have happened to me were already common knowledge. Did I ever tell everyone the story about being following in a car by a bunch of skinheads in Illinois with John Kwag? he may remember..but that story again is for another day.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home